Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 9

I've got to find a more clever way to name these posts.

First, there was cafeteria duty. There seemed to be fewer students, and some of the "regulars" were missing. I talked with another ST (got to get his name) and he thought maybe they were on extended vacations, as they don't have school Monday. I'm not sure and didn't worry much about it. I was concerned, however, about a conversation this ST had with the Principal. According to our packets of information we each received on our first day, we each have hall duty from 8:10 to 8:25. This is 3 minutes before the "1/2 hour before first class" buzzer to 3 minutes before the "class starts" buzzer (I miss school bells). Apparently the Principal did not believe the ST on this point. He (ST) was quite put-out about the Principal's attitude, and I don't blame him. So, ST now stays until the class starts buzzer, which presents a problem for him. If he is there to that buzzer, he will be late to start his class! So, what to do? ST has decided to stay and not talk with the Principal about the matter. I have not been asked by ST to give an opinion, and I have not been approached by anyone on when I enter and leave. I've decided to let it be - if I am asked for my opinion, I will give it. If I am "talked to" I will present the facts. I'm hoping there are no confrontations, as I don't like such.

As for classes today, the students voted on a blog name, the winner being "Beta R.O.C.K.S." You can see the blog here. 2 students suggested the name, so they will win a prize. Though, I haven't figured out what the prize is!

There was a sub for the 2nd half of the day. I let him know that I was there to help and would follow his lead. His attitude was that I was the ST and knew more about the class doings than he. So, he deferred to me! I found myself "taking over" at one point, and apologized. He said not to apologize and it was just fine. At the end of the day, sub told me that, as far as he was concerned, I was doing a great job - the kids gave me respect, and I had a good rapport with them. He assured me I would make a fine teacher. I accepted the compliment and did not question it or myself! Progress!!!

No comments: