Thursday, January 28, 2010

Volunteering

This afternoon, after classes, the Student Teachers met with Paula M., who is in charge of the Career Day Fair the Middle School holds in May. The STs were volunteered by the Principal to help coordinate the pre-fair doings. This will give us a great opportunity to (a) fulfill some of our Student Teaching requirements and (b) get a taste of the "real" teaching life - being on a committee and such.

The only concern we (STs) had was that we were not given a choice as to what activities to volunteer for. In a way, the act of "making" us part of a project gives us the feeling of being "free labor" and not respected as soon-to-be-professionals. Perhaps if we were told, "There are X number of activities happening during your student teaching and you must volunteer for Y number of them."

Anyway, next week I have my first observation. That is, the University advisor will be in class to observe me. YIKES! I have my lesson plan ready and I'm sure I'll do fine. I just hope I don't get a case of the shakes!

That's all for today!

No comments: