Monday, January 11, 2010

Student Teaching: Day 1

I have to keep a Journal/Log for my Student Teaching Assignment. I thought, what's a better place than a blog? So, each day, I will write a post. Here is today's:

I had to develop an impromptu lesson (which I can't submit as part of my assignment) on how to introduce myself to the students and put them at ease. I decided to ask about pets. Seems animals and children (usually) work well together. First, I told a brief story about one of my 8 animals. Then, without prompting, the students wanted to share unusual or cute stories about their pets. It went very well - and we all had fun. This helped me begin to learn students' names by associating them with their pets. Second, I asked them what they thought my favorite color, food, movie, sport, etc. might be. There were a lot of interesting - and colorful - answers. This also gave me clues on learning the students' names, and also how they think. To finish off the "Introduction Time" I asked them what they thought what my profession was before teaching. The funniest/most unusual response was cosmetologist - apparently the girls liked my hair! After several guesses, I finally told them I was a Technical Writer for nearly 15 years. I explained the possible job functions of a T.W. which got them to thinking more about who I am, and was a lead in for Ms. Skala to ask them to write in their journals what profession they want to aspire to.

That was just one highlight of my day. I had fun; I learned some new things about children, and about myself.

Now, how do I get through tomorrow!

No comments: