Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Books, Books and more Books

Wow. Each semester I am amazed at the cost of books. One of my required texts was $75.00 - and it was less than 100 pages! I suppose the authors, publishers, shippers, and sellers need to make money. And for well written, later-to-use-as-reference text books, that is just fine.

Classes for me start in one week. I'll start pre-reading tonight. My daughter thinks I'm crazy(er) for doing so. I tell her that if I can do any type of pre-reading or research for my classes, it makes me a better student (well, better to state, it gives me a sense of being a better student). Unfortunately the "I like to go to school and be a student" trait did not pass on to her. I'm hoping that once she begins high school (in 2 weeks!) her love for learning will emerge.

Having books to reference while teaching will be a gianormous help. Though, I don't know how students in 2011 will react when I pull out my copy of Poe, printed in 1972!

No comments: