Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A propos

Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. Dorothy Parker

In preparation for my stint at teaching, I have signed up with Kelly Educational Staffing to perform substitute paraprofessional work. I have done my time as a food service worker, lunchroom supervisor, playground supervisor too. However, I prefer to work with the kids - one on one or just helping in the classroom. Today, I worked in a "remedial room" at an Elementary school. Most kids were there for only 15 to 20 minutes at a time to work on their weaker skills. All the kids were great; most were polite; few wouldn't say much; 2 of them claimed me as their new best buddy!

As fulfilling as it was, I am so glad I will not be certified to teach in the lower grades. The mental and physical energy it takes with the kids - not to mention learning how to talk, act, and react around little ones - I am amazed of the people who take on the challenge.!

No comments: