Sunday, February 10, 2008

Religion & Comments

Easy one first:

I am thrilled people are commenting! I will make sure to, at least once a week, write a post responding to comments. This is my plan.

Difficult one:

Religion in the classroom. I'm not talking about teaching Evolution vs Intellectual Design or teaching in a religious-affiliated school. What I'm interested in researching and finding opinions on is: Is it OK for a teacher to wear a piece of jewelry or clothing that signifies their religious belief? Are there any precedences about this particular subject?

I ask this question because more and more, I see people wearing traditional crosses and crucifixes as accessories. Could this be seen as promoting a Christian faith; or as showing intolerance for other religions? Or is it covered under freedom of speech and/or freedom of religion?

Would schools be as accepting if a teacher wore a Star of David, Islamic Crescent, symbol of Ganesha, or an upside-down Star? They are just symbols, aren't they? People are not forcing their religion on others, are they? Just because they are teachers, leaders of the classrooms, people to be respected and trusted, that doesn't mean they can't show their personal 'style', does it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's fine to wear a single piece of jewellery/symbol of your own faith if you're a teacher if the pupils may do so also.
I think it would be less accepted but should be allowed for other symbols, not just crosses.

At my school, the rules said "a religious medal or cross". My friend had a lot of difficulties wearing a pentacle to show her druid faith. (it's a general symbol for paganism, and the earth traditions).

But then again, it was a Catholic school and I did go to the head about it with her and a muslim, who was allowed to wear a symbol of her faith.

Stars Above,
Celestial~Rose